[Kwintv] sound won't turn off

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Aug 20 23:18:11 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 16:21, darwin Meredith wrote:
> I have ati all in wonder ve tv card. I am using suse
> 8.2. When I exit kwintv the sound won't turn off. When
> I reboot my computer it the sound of the speakers come
> on. I did some research in the archieves and found the
> reason. Here it is,
>  "The problem with TV sound starting with KDE is caused
> by v4l loading from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  v4l is
> on.  If I remove the "Load" sound only starts when I
> load bttv...  Of course, this isn't really helpful as
> v4l is required for QTVision...  My guess is that the
> bttv driver initializes the tv decoder chip on the card
> expecting the tuner, tvaudio, msp3400 or videodev
> module to deal with the sound (mute it).
> The TV-Wonder-VE, and perhaps the WinTV card has
> problems with the audio.  The card doesn't do it's own
> volume control.  The volume and muting is done through
> the Line-In rather than TV controls of the
> mixer."

   There is a setting to select the mixer, but I don't know if it still works.
Otherwise, kwintv is mostly obsolete as development focusses on the rewrite.
Sorry.

> I haven't tried QTVision yet. I belive I will have the
> same problem.
> I saw something about entering "load v4l" line into
> XF86Config. Will I need to run a script? AI am a newbie
> at linux.

  If you are a "newbie" you might have trouble with qtvision.  it is not
polished yet, and it's still very much "alpha" quality software.  I think we
did a great job to get it this far, but it still needs much work.  I
personally feel it is at least as good as the old kwintv, but there are
enough bugs and usability issues to keep it from regular use for now.  The
documentation is mostly sufficient for people of any skill level to get
qtvision working, and even trying will certainly help you learn anyways.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/