[Kwintv] several problems/bugs

Dawit A. kwintv@mail.kde.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 01:41:52 -0500

Hi,

It has been a while since I worked on kwintv, but I coded the "mute on exit"
feature so let me see if I can reply...

On Thursday 03 April 2003 07:37, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> > > This discussion was about that they (Neil) wanted to remove this
> > > feature, and I have only proposed to not remove it completely, just
> > > make it an configurable option.
> >
> > Trouble is, I had no idea why this behaviour was in the code in the first
> > place !

Because there are cards whose audio output is constantly on and cannot be
turned off ? Like my TV tuner card for example.

> > My winTV card doesn't output low level noise, so it seemed a
> > no-brainer to me. Unfortunately, when it was written, there was a lack of
> > commentary put in, which makes improving things a little harder.

I think most people misunderstand the issue here. Muting should for most
people work properly if they simply change their mixer device from "Master"
to "Line" or whatever the name of the connecter the audio output from the
tuner card is plugged into.  Mine is "Line", but I do understand that this
does not seem to work for everyone so some people simply use the default
"Master" mixer control.  Hope that clarifies it for you...

> > Now that everyone on the list knows the reason, and a patch has been
> > submitted for the radio option "mute on exit", it should be resolved.
> > (Anyone else tested the patch yet apart from me ?)

I cannot test it either since I do not have a connection to my TV yet, but the
code seems okay to me and this would be a good thing for those people who
cannot change their volume control to the proper mixer instead of using the
default "Master" mixer which mutes every sound...

Regards,
Dawit A.