Fwd: Re: [Kwintv] shortcuts

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:06:40 -0500

> >    Hrm that looks like a race. :-/  I guess I'm going to have to start
> > investigating this code again.  I have been toying with the idea of
> > completely gutting it and redesigning it.  I'm not sure if the current
> > model works at all.  It's just too hard to deal with X11+threading+2
> > event loops+v4l all in the same process.
>
> If you have some free time to devote to this, I'd be happy to collaborate
>  with you on a redesign, which I agree with. I'm itching to get kwintv to
> the point that I envisage it in my head :)

   Well my time is spread quite thin, but if you have some suggestions, please
send them along.  The real problems seem to be performance related and race
related in the Qt-X11-V4L loop integrations.  One option is to move the V4L
stuff out-of-process, but I really don't like that.  It just doesn't seem
clean to me.  On the other hand, we may not have much of a choice.  The
threading code seems very problematic.

   I have a chunk of code sitting around waiting to commit, but it needs more
cleanup first.  It will give us conversion between all the different
colourspaces.  We don't particularily need it yet anyways, so it's ok for
now.  qtvision without Xv is far too slow to be usable. :)