[Kwintv] regarding release notes

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:49:31 -0400

On September 24, 2002 14:05, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 16:42, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Tuesday September 24 2002 05:21, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> > > Also I have read some notes from the old kwintv and the global hotkeys
> > > that should start up kwintv. So I remembered, that I would like to be
> > > able to start up qtvision using my remote control.
> > > I can add a config option to .lircrc to instruct irw to start qtvision,
> > > but then if I press the power button by accident when qtvision is
> > > already running I will start up a new instance of it. So it would be
> > > nice if qtvision could be made a KUniqueApplication. I dont think there
> > > is a need for running two instances of qtvision.
> > > What do you think about that? The dcop usage will be simpler also :)
> >
> >     We could do this, but then we would need to integrate complicated
> > logic to make it possible to have multiple mainwindows.  Remember that
> > some people have multiple video devices.  For instance, I would like to
> > be able to view a video camera and tv tuner at the same time.  I don't
> > want to limit our functionality due to drawbacks of lirc's design.
>
> You are right. But this way there are problems to use dcop from scripts.
> Or is there a way to send a dcop command to qtvision without knowing the
> process id?

   Well which one do you want to send to?  We could always make a simple way
to get at the first/only running qtvision, but what happens when a second one
starts?  Which should the dcop command go to?  An app could easily query them
all, and then we could have a method to return the current program playing in
that process...  perhaps that makes sense?

> I have also an idea to solve my problem with lirc. I just need to check
> with dcop if kwintw is already running, and start it up only if it is not.

  yes that would work for sure.