[Kwintv] Still scaling problems.

Michael Kedl kwintv@mail.kde.org
15 Oct 2002 12:14:44 -0400

I have been evaluating the X server from SI Graphics (it runs for 25
minutes for the eval version)

I find that xawtv and other xv tv apps will scale to fullscreen with it.
I then switch to the XFree server that came with RH8 and it doesn't
scale.

Looking at the xawtv -hw output on the RH8 server:
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-14custom)
looking for available devices
port 59-59                              [ -xvport 59 ]
    type : Xvideo, video overlay
    name : video4linux

port 60-60
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : ATI Radeon Video Overlay

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l
    name : BT878(AVerMedia TVCapture 98)
    flags: overlay capture tuner

The SI Graphics server:
This is xawtv-3.74, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.18-14custom)
looking for available devices
port 85-85                              [ -xvport 85 ]
    type : Xvideo, video overlay
    name : BT878(AVerMedia TVCapture 98)

port 86-86
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : CODEC

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l
    name : BT878(AVerMedia TVCapture 98)
    flags: overlay capture tuner

It looks like the XI server correctly uses the BT878 directly.
It looks like the XFree server is using video4linux (which I believe
doesn't scale).

So:
1) I don't think its a hw problem
2) I don't think its a kernel problem
3) It looks like its an XFree problem
4) but it might also be related to the BT drivers not "telling" XFree
about itself correctly

I guess I'll try to download the latest XFree (groan......)