[Kwintv] Can't get any plugins to show up.

John Campbell kwintv@mail.kde.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:06:00 -0700

On 14 Oct 2002 12:14:09 -0000, you wrote:

>Strange that I didn't have to update anything and you did.
>Since we both installed RH8.  But I have compiled some other things and
>maybe some of my downloads for them updated my system.

It may not have been qtvision that forced me to install the new
autoconf although I seem to remember it that way.  Updating libraries
and compilation utilities is my first line of defense when things go
wrong.  If the compiler gives errors, update the library...then update
the compiler...and so on down the list.

I currently can't get xmltv to run because RH8.0 can't deal with
several of the Perl libraries and I don't know enough about Perl to
hack them together.

I've found with qtvision that you have to download it on a "good day."
Update at the wrong time and it breaks...wait 10 minutes and update
again and it works again.

>I did not compile with --prefix=3D/opt, that seems to be what it =
defaulted=20
>to.  I'm not really sure where kde is installed as a base /usr maybe?

I thought it defaulted to "/usr/local."  I install qtvision in "/usr"
so I override the default.  With redhat you have to be careful about
where you install.  Redhat has everything installed in /usr/bin and if
you compile with the src supplied defaults most software will go into
/usr/local/.../bin and leave masses of turds floating around your /usr
directory structure.

I made the mistake of un-installing mozilla 1.0.1 before I compiled
and installed v1.2a...don't do that...it ended up frying half of the
office.org programs and who knows what else.  I decided to take the
better part of valor and re-clean-install v8.0.  I know, I'm a
chicken, but with Redhat's new blue-curve non-standard integration
I've found it's a disaster to update anything.  I've been caught twice
too often updating a component and finding big chunks taken out of
KDE.

>v4l seems to be working fine with several other programs.

I don't know if I have any other programs that use v4l.

>I assume in the qtvision -> settings -> Configure qtvision -> plugins=20
>section there are video/mixer/channel format/other plugins.  My complete
>section is empty, which leads me to believe a path of something is =
wrong.
>Maybe that --prefix above.  What did you use when you compiled?  my /opt=
=20
>dir was empty until I compiled this program.

Yes, there should be a couple of plugins under most of the tabs. =20

A few weeks ago someone posted a quick-n-dirty shellscript hacked
together from the CVS instructions on the kwintv website.  I just
modified it to match my configuration and let it rip.  It updates from
the CVS, makes, installs everything.  It's a little brute-force but it
works.  I'll re-post it later.