[Kwintv] Can't get any plugins to show up.

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:13:12 +0200

On Monday 14 October 2002 14:14, Michael Kedl wrote:
> Strange that I didn't have to update anything and you did.
> Since we both installed RH8.  But I have compiled some other things and
> maybe some of my downloads for them updated my system.
>
> I did not compile with --prefix=/opt, that seems to be what it defaulted
> to.  I'm not really sure where kde is installed as a base /usr maybe?
>
> v4l seems to be working fine with several other programs.
>
> I assume in the qtvision -> settings -> Configure qtvision -> plugins
> section there are video/mixer/channel format/other plugins.  My complete
> section is empty, which leads me to believe a path of something is wrong.
> Maybe that --prefix above.  What did you use when you compiled?  my /opt
> dir was empty until I compiled this program.

You need to use --prefix=/usr with Redhat else your plugins will not be found.
The other option is to specify KDEDIRS to list the also the alternate prefix
too. (like KDEDIRS=/usr:/opt/kd3 - tough I'm not sure, if it should be /opt
or /opt/kde3 or some subdir - search for a more detailed explanation of
KDEDIRS).

Note: installing programs with 'make install' to /usr (and not /usr/local or
/opt) is not a good practice. Only rpms should install directly to /usr.
But of course you can install to /usr, just later you may have problems when
using rpm for upgrading...