[Kwintv] Re: kdenonbeta/kwintv3/qtvision

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:39:19 +0200

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 13:58, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Hi!

> > > I second this opinion as well.
> >
> >    Well unless anyone has something strong to say against this, I think
> > we should change it to behave as I described then.
>
> Well, I am the one who initially changed QtVision to accept this single
> click a while back so I want to explain why I did this. For me it made
> more sense while being in the channel editor because changing e.g. the
> frequency of a channel only makes sense (to me) when I directly see what I
> am doing which means that the channel I am editing should be displayed at
> the same time. That was not possible before (or so I remember) so I
> changed it. It is also not a "common practice" (at least to me) to double
> click on a list item to get the application do/display something.

First: I don't think that changing the frequency is the most common operation
in the channel dialog. There are other operations you could do. Like changing
the order of channels... I really hate when I just want to do that, and it
changes away from the channel I'm watching.

Second: double click - it may not be a common practice to everybody (tough
some Windows background could help :), but there is/was the Display button
for those who don't find out about that feature.

> If someone changes this behavior back to the double click please make sure
> that one can still see an immediate change of the TV program being edited

Yes. I agree.
But that can be solved by changing to that channel when somebody presses the
Edit (or Display) button.

> and probably also add some text to the dialog indicating that you have to
> double-click on an item to get it displayed. I merely found that out by
> accident in the previous version that I had to use that double click...

> However, watching one TV channel while editing another, especially the
> frequency, seems nearly impossible to me except when you exactly know that
> the frequency you entered is correct.

Yes there are operations when you _need_ to see the channel you edit, but
there are those where it is not necessary.

Regards
Zsolt