[Kwintv] Recording for KwinTV

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:44:01 -0500

On November 21, 2002 14:48, Marcus Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we were asked by Rizsanyi Zsolt to merge the recording functions of our
> software to the KwinTV project. We had a project discussion about this and
> we it it a good idea.
> At this point we simply want to contact you and make sure that you are,
> perhaps, interest in a merge or not. From our point of view it would be a
> good idea and will make KwinTV even more powerful.
>
> So what do you all think?
>
> Our project is the V4LGrab and can be found at:
> http://v4lgrab.sourceforge.net
> Our project is still in the beta phase (0.2.2), but we had already preatty
> good response from several users.

    Our code is still very much in a development phase too.  We have been
moving rather quickly though.  Have you had a look at the QtVision source
code yet?  It is starting to get quite large but I think it's quite modular
too, which makes up for the size.  We also have abstracted away many things.
For instance, your code could use the KVideoIO library for V4L access.  I
would love some help developing that stuff too.  It's certainly incomplete.
We have a file called "LAUNDRY" which is a "dirty laundry" list of things
that need to be cleaned up in the code.  That will give you an idea of where
our development is focused right now.

   I think it's a great idea to merge these projects.  You seem to be working
on the biggest area that we have not started yet, and together we can
probably accelerate the pace of eachothers' development.

   There are a few architectural changes that need to be made in QtVision and
I think it would be a good idea to do those before we start merging.  I
already know what needs to be done but I cannot start that work until KDE
3.1.0 is out.  Then we should have some discussions to see how best to
integrate the two.

   I look forward to working with you and your team soon!