[Kwintv] Those with the ripping effect

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:03:57 -0500

On Wednesday November 13 2002 12:15, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> OK, I checked it again. Here are the results:
>
> On Tuesday 12 November 2002 19:42, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> > [...] BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10 Major
> > opcode:  2
>
> After reading this error message again I simply tried to start QtVision as
> "root" instead with the V4L plugin enabled --- and this works! So the
> crash that I see when using the V4L plugin (as a normal user) is a problem
> with permissions. The suid bit of kv4lsetup is set, though. Is there
> another file permission I have to change to make it work for normal users?

  That's strange.  I wonder why now.  I'll have to investigate more.

> Anyhow, after QtVision finally started I checked out the latest V4L (CVS
> checkout from a few minutes ago). The picture quality is better now but I
> still see this "ripping effect", especially with scrolling text.

   If it's worse than the Xv plugin, then there is still work to be done.  If
the Xv plugin shows the same problems, then there's nothing more I can do.
It will take some time though, since I don't really see this effect.

> I also can't use the "Prefer Video Overlay if Available" option. When I
> activate this (no matter what "mode") the screen (all windows including
> desktop icons) starts flickering.

    Yes I haven't got the events sorted out yet.  This will take a bit of time
still.