[Kwintv] How to install qtvision....

Stefan Hellwig kwintv@mail.kde.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:13:17 +0100

Hi!

On Friday 15 November 2002 04:19, kwintv-admin@mail.kde.org wrote:
> Is the setup information on CVS page correct. I only adjusted the lines
> where my kde3 and qt3 folders are located.
> export KDEDIR = /usr/lib/kde3
> export QTDIR =/usr/lib/qt3
> those are the only directories in RedHat 8.0 where kde3 and qt3 exist....

I really doubt that these settings for KDEDIR and QTDIR are correct. The
problem is that RedHat is putting KDE directly into /usr (at least "older"
versions and I believe the latest one does that as well). This means that for
example the binaries for KDE on RedHat can be found in /usr/bin, mixed with
all the other non-KDE applications...

Other Linux distributions, like SuSE, put KDE into its own directory
structure, for example /opt/kde3. This makes it much easier to set KDEDIR
(KDEDIR is the top directory containing the KDE binaries, libs, etc.).

Now, I don't know the exact settings for RedHat since I have not used it in
years. Maybe you can't even solve this by setting just KDEDIR to the correct
value and there is some other solution for this?! I guess I should make it
clear that the script on www.kwintv.org to set KDEDIR etc. is just tested on
SuSE and won't work for RedHat users?

Try not to set any of those values before compiling, just do a ./configure and
see if it detects the correct KDE/QT paths. Maybe do an "echo $KDEDIR" and
"echo $QTDIR" before to see whether or not RedHat defines these by default.

Good luck!

Regards, Stefan.

P.S.: Maybe someone with more RedHat experience can help out here?!