[Kwintv] The importance of good video hardware and drivers

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 03:07:47 +0100

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 20:39, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday November 05 2002 13:34, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> > >    AGP is definitely being used since it's an AGP card. :-)  As for the
> > > AGP mode, I don't know what it's set at right now, but it certainly is
> > > using agpgart.
> >
> > Well, that's not the case here. I've read somewhere that there are
> > conflicts between agpgart and NVidia's own implementation. That can be
> > activated by an option in XF86Config. Mine looks like this:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >   BoardName     "GeForce 2 MX"
> >   BusID  	       "1:0:0"
> >   Driver  	       "nvidia"
> >   Identifier	       "Device[0]"
> >   Option            "NvAgp" "1"
> >   Screen        	0
> >   VendorName    "Nvidia"
> > EndSection
>
>   Hm I'll check on this.  I did see agp messages in dmesg though, so that
> leads me to believe that it is using it.
>
> > >     I would be interested if you could try all 5 V4L output methods,
> > > plus the Xv plugin, and see what your results are for each.
> >
> > OK, I tested this all now (with overlay enabled all the time). The first
> > two (XVideo) worked but I think that the XVideo plugin still produces the
> > better picture quality, with V4L I still have a "ripped" TV picture when
> > there is some movement on the screen. And it seems to be slower than
> > XVideo.
>
>    It should definitely be slower.  The ripped qualities I just don't see,
> but I can believe they exist.  It would be interesting to see what 16bpp is
> like. How does grab display mode work for you in xawtv?  Is it better?

I have not tested v4l in qtvision recently, but the grab display mode in xawtv
(xawtv -noxv) always worked for me without the 'ripped qualities'. (and as I
have mentioned in a previous letter, qtvision with v4l had ripped qualities).

I will soon check if the problem persists.

Regards
Zsolt