[Kwintv] The importance of good video hardware and drivers

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:50:34 -0500

On Tuesday November 05 2002 04:09, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 08:53, George Staikos wrote:
> > Yes this is the closed source driver that I'm using right now. So far it
> > seems to work well, though I noticed some unusual system slow downs when
> > doing heavy compiles and graphics work simultaneously.
>
> Really? Hm... I never noticed that before... Maybe there's still something
> wrong or missing? What's about AGP, did you enable that? I think there is
> some setting in XF86Config to activate it for the NVidia driver.

   AGP is definitely being used since it's an AGP card. :-)  As for the AGP
mode, I don't know what it's set at right now, but it certainly is using
agpgart.

   Actually it looks like some of these slowdowns might be the result of a
qlistview bug.  Apparently other people are seeing the slowdown too, and the
common thread is that we were using kmail.  Don Sanders found a severe slow
down in qlistview in recent qt-copy.

> >    I don't see any video problems with the v4l driver though.
>
> Let's see, I didn't have the chance to test it in the last couple of days.
> First I have to compile KDE 3.1 RC2, QtVision's next :-). Too bad I won't
> have time today to do so...

    I would be interested if you could try all 5 V4L output methods, plus the
Xv plugin, and see what your results are for each.

    I have also started to realise that my tv tuner card is of rather poor
quality.  It seems to be suffering from interference, I think from the PCI
bus somehow.  Maybe QtVision is driving more than usual PCI traffic and
causing similar problems for you.