[Kwintv] Screen centering

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:56:24 -0500

On Friday 01 February 2002 04:04, Jan Tait wrote:
> I've recently installed Redhat 7.2 on my machine.
> Previously hd RH 7.1.  After installing kwintv 0.8.10
> on my machine, I had problems with the /dev/video0 thing.
> I had to k4vlsetup first as root (never got around fixing
> the root part).
> Installing 0.8.11, I still had the /dev/video0 problem, but
> my fulscreen centering was gone.
>
> With RH7.2 I decided to first install 0.8.9 again, because
> I heard people had problems with the later versions on
> RH7.2.  Anyway, everything worked well.  After installing
> the NVIDIA drivers for my Geforce 2 MX400, the
> centering was gone on the fullscreen.  I run kwintv with
> -r /dev/video0 to get around the /dev/video0 part.
>
> To get to the point.  Is the screen centering thing dependent
> on the screen driver???

   The screen centering actually involves quite some "voodoo".  It does have
to do with the results from the XF86VM query.  The best thing I can suggest
is to have a look at the code in wintvmain.cpp where it does the centering
and see if you can determine where the calculation goes wrong for you.  It's
really nasty code right now and I apologize, but I just can't work on this
right now.  As I have told several other people, I have new code for some of
this stuff, and other parts have to be rewritten still.  There are fixme's
listed all through there. :)   Please bear with us.  KDE 3.0 is quite a
time-consumer and I am finishing my last few months of university right now
too.  I'll get back to some serious hacking at this stuff soon though.