[Kwintv] ask for help

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:45:19 -0500

On Thursday 19 December 2002 08:00, w.liu@philips.com wrote:
> Dear sir/madam,
>
> My name is William working on a project at Philips.
>
> I am writing to ask for help.
>
> My problem is as follows:
>
> I am going to build an application on Linux(SUSE) to present SI(service
> info) of analogue channels received by an analogue TV card(PCI). Since
> this is like one of those functionalities of Kwintv, I'd like to ask
> questions:

   Sorry, by SI do you mean closed captioning or teletext?

> 1. Do you use V4L2 to control any analogue TV card to tune and get SI? If
> yes, did you ever control any WinTV family cards(http://www.hauppauge.tv),
> which card do you use? 2. Could you give some recommendations of using V4L2
> on analogue TV card, such as to get SI or to tune.

    Not yet.  Once kernel 2.6 comes out, we will start a V4L2 plugin for the
rewrite of kwintv.  Until then, there are too many other things to be done,
and the v4l driver will work fine even after that I hope.  Quite honestly I
don't really even know the api very well, but you can find the documentation
here: http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/v4l2cap.htm

    For closed captioning or teletext, you must read from the vbi device.
There are libraries like libzvbi which help with this.

> Sorry for the disturbance, I am totally new in this domain but the
> deadline is waiting for me.

  No worries. :)