[Kwintv] my questions.

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:01:06 -0500

On Thursday 19 December 2002 07:17, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Unless the device is supported under Video4Linux, which as far as I can
> tell, USB TV cards aren't, then currently you are out of luck. Someone
> _may_ have written a driver for support, but as it stands, it isn't
> included in the kernel tree as of 2.4.20 (2.5.x maybe ?)

   I think there is one USB device that is supported on 2.5.x kernels now.  I
will be looking into this soon because I need to get some sort of device on
my laptop for development there.

> Out of interest, what card are you using ? Maybe I can write to the
> manufacturer and ask them to donate a card so that I can code a driver.

  That's a Hauppauge device.  Don't waste your time.  It is very different
than regular isa/pci bttv based devices.  Someone has been working on the
driver for a long time but the encoding system is proprietary and they have
not got past ~4 frames/sec for video since I last checked.