[Kwintv] Contributing more to qtvision

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:05:26 -0500

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 12:52, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> I want to work some more on qtvision, and am wondering how up to date the
> webpage is on the "Known Not Working" section. Also, a description of the
> bugs there would be benificial, as then I would know what to look for :) I
> was going to fix the Mute (partially broken) bit, but I have no idea how it
> is partially broken.

  Check the file LAUNDRY in kwintv3/qtvision.  It's the laundry list of things
that have to get done at some point.  Some of them have names attached, some
do not.  I think the alsa plugin is listed there so we can probably remove
it. :)  The best thing you could do is pick something self-contained and
unassigned and try to work on it.  Make sure you get a feel for the
architecture first though.  Regarding that, I am changing the Manager classes
to be non-singleton and making the QtVision class more central (containing
pointers to the managers, etc).

some commonly reported bugs:

- changing channel with keyboard numbers (hitting the number itself) often
leaves numbers stuck on the screen.
- volume toolbar is not removeable
- some of the mainwindow client modes may not work correctly (especially video
desktop, which once worked)
- keyboard problems
- configuration file saving is really broken in some ways.  when switching
video plugins, it often "forgets" the list of channels that should have been
saved for that plugin, and reprompts for a default channel list.  it also
seems to forget the previous "source" for a given plugin.
- channel importing from kwintv channels does not work correctly apparently

  Hmm that's what I can think of off-hand.  There are lots of bugs in the v4l
driver but it's still under heavy development and I'm probably the only one
who understands some of the voodoo in there right now. :-)  The Xv driver is
in good shape and I don't think it really needs much more work at all.