[Kwintv] Re: compile issue from cvs sources.

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:46:57 -0500

On Monday 09 December 2002 14:20, you wrote:
> Georges,
>
> I have given a try to CVS sources today, and I must say it  compiles
> quite ok  now (i.e. : it produces an exec, which runs on my box).

  Excellent!

> I would like to report a couple of things, if that is of any help :

  Please use the mailing list for this.

> 1) When importing kwintv channels, qtvision mixes the channel position
> (starting from 1,2, etc ...) with the channel number (ie 06, 23, ...).
> It produces then a channel listing with "random" numbers instead of 1,2,
> 3, ... But the channel names are ok, and they come in the proper order.

    Yuck that doesn't sound good.  Please send a copy of your kwintv (old)
channel file if possible so we can see what's wrong.

> 2) qtvision works okay with v4l, when loaded into Xfree86. There are a
> few quirks however :
>
>         - fullscreen does'nt work on my box. i have 4.2.1 from a
> Mandrake 9 box(with 2.4.19 kernel). I get a ???x576 (I assume it is 576
>           because it is smaller than 600, and corresponds to the
> frenchsecam standard for line number).
>           I did browse a bit for that subject, and I understand it
> *might* be an Xfree issue (not compiled with DGA ???). The thing is :
>           I have no notion whatsoever how to compile with DGA (my X is
> however home compiled from Mandrake sources)

   Which video card and hardware?  If you're using the Xv driver, this is most
likely your X11 server/driver's fault.

>         - probably for the same reason, when you extend qtvision beyond
> 576 lines, the image stays at its max height (576) with
> black                borders. In that process, the first image isc
> produced in upper left of the frame, and then recentered. But
> the"shadow" of the             first image remains visible in upper left

   Yes this definitely sounds like the X driver.  I get this with my NVidia
card.

>         - When launched as root, I have access to both v4l and BT 848
> devices to choose from. When User, I have only access to V4L

   That's a permission problem in /dev.

>         - when using the BT848 device, there is a nasty "overlay" mode
> going on, that hides everything under the picture. Getting access
>           to a qtvision menu is fairly impossible (but you may not
> havebeen working on this yet ...)

   this is incomplete code.  I'm working on it.

> 3) the "home" (back to normal mode) key doesn't work

   Known problem.  I don't know what the fix is yet.

> 4) There is no (yet) channel wizard ...

   Of course we know that one too. :)

> 5) when you move a button ruler (i.e. the sound one) and replace it
> somewhere else, qtvision doen't keep the setting.

    Yes I've seen this too.  We'll be sure to fix all these bugs.

> I understand you may not have been working on  several of these points
> (3,4,5 particularly). I would be happy to help if I had any notion of
> programming, but I'm afraid all I can do is report things as I see them.
>
> Nevertheless, qtvision is still (with kwintv) the best GUI TV app. Keep
> on the track.

  Thank you!