About some old and hard to maintain effects

Vlad Zahorodnii vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
Sat Jun 5 15:29:45 BST 2021

On 6/1/21 3:39 PM, Martin Flöser wrote:
> Those effects were the first effects I created back in 2008, which means they
> have reached the normal maximum age for code. Of course personally I feel a
> little bit sad about them getting removed, but have to agree.

Hi,

To be frank, I'm not keen about removing them either, but on the other
hand, there needs to be some balance between features and the
maintenance burden that they contribute and also if they allow further
improvements.

> CoverSwitch and FlipSwitch should ideally be rewritten as QML in case the new
> API allows to properly export Buffers to QML. And then the complete TabBox
> interface could be removed from EffectsHandler which would IMHO be a win.

That's what I hope will happen. There is already some work to improve
thumbnail integration in qtquick.

I think it will be cool to see effects such as desktop cube
re-implemented using QtQuick 3D.

Cheers,
vlad