About some old and hard to maintain effects

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Jun 1 13:39:33 BST 2021

Am Montag, 31. Mai 2021, 10:53:58 CEST schrieb Vlad Zahorodnii:
> The effects that we would like to drop are
>
> * coverswitch
> * cube
> * cubeslide
> * flipswitch

Those effects were the first effects I created back in 2008, which means they
have reached the normal maximum age for code. Of course personally I feel a
little bit sad about them getting removed, but have to agree.

CoverSwitch and FlipSwitch should ideally be rewritten as QML in case the new
API allows to properly export Buffers to QML. And then the complete TabBox
interface could be removed from EffectsHandler which would IMHO be a win.

Cube I think should be brought back once there is time - maybe even out of
tree. It's still something many users are vocal about (compare all the
comments about Mutter lacking this feature).

Cheers
Martin