D21076: ICC Color Correction Effect

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 6 14:26:11 BST 2020

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Is it? How does it work? It definitely requires distribution of a binary addon. Does KDE installer build binary addons?

  I have no idea how it works, but I imagine you create the build locally, possibly with the help of kpackagetool, and then upload it to some KDE server.

  One thing is certain: if you can do a build that works against multiple KWin versions your effect will become available to more users much quicker. Distributions like Debian may still take years to get to the version that includes your effect if it were to be accepted.

  >   I get similar glitches too. They don't reproduce always, but I feel they tend to "accumulate" over time. Sometimes I just restart kwin with `kwin --replace`...

  I restart KWin several times a day, that's how easy they can appear. I have a vague impression that they're worse with this effect enabled but maybe it just depends on how many effects you have enabled.

  >   I'd appreciate if you could give me some advice on how I should deal with that texture. Maybe I bind it incorrectly or maybe I don't clear some bindings or maybe something else...?

  It's been years since I did any OpenGL coding and I've never actually doodled in compositing, shader etc.

  >   I had this problem at some point and I don't remember how exactly I solved it. I remember that it definitely wasn't caused just by my effect though

  The weird thing is that I already disabled (blocked) compositing for Konsole, but the glitch still occurs unless I turn off the compositor entirely.

  >   One recent thing that I remember is Mesa 20 switching to the Intel "iris" driver by default which is still buggy and leads to all kinds of glitches with KWin. Try to switch to the older stable driver by adding MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965 to /etc/environment ...

  I'm using Mesa 1.18.3 and the i915 driver. Which isn't exactly bug free either :(