D29272: Add support to keyboard shortcuts inhibitor

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 29 12:03:14 BST 2020

romangg added a comment.

  In D29272#659619 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29272#659619>, @apol wrote:

  > > Are we ok to let Meta key opening menu even if inhibitor is active ?
  >
  > Wouldn't this do exactly what this patch is trying to prevent?

  Since shortcut inhibition is often used for VMs, nested sessions and alike: definitely. What poses the question how the compositor is supposed to override a client's request to inhibit shortcuts when its shortcuts got inhibited (and likely its pointer is constrained). And how it advertises that to the user.

  There was in the past a mechanism to override client's pointer constraint when pressing ESC for few seconds. For pointer constraints that was a broken design but for shortcuts inhibition it could be just right. @bport: For the code check out D15234 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15234>, where the mechanism was removed for pointer constraints.

  > I think we really do not want this to happen during e.g. gameplay

  Games normally don't inhibit Alt+Tab and similar compositor shortcuts. At least I wouldn't want my games to do that by default.