Splitting KWayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 14:12:58 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 1:58 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> As discussed in the meeting last week, I've been looking into the split.
>
> Here's what I was thinking of, please tell me if there's something
> massively important I'm missing.
>
> The idea would be to start working on it after kwayland and other kf5
> have been tagged next week (?).
>
> Something I was wondering too is that I guess the new repos should end
> up in invent? Although neither plasma or kf5 are there.
> So maybe not?

Given the recent gitlab status update from bshah, that'll be happening
soon.

> There's a couple of questions below as well, thoughts would be welcome
>
> Aleix
>
> git clone kde:kwayland
> mv kwayland plasma-wayland-protocols
> cd plasma-wayland-protocols
> git rm -r autotests/ docs/ tests/ src/
> # fix build
> # close https://phabricator.kde.org/T13024

And changing it so we install the KDE specific protocol files

> git clone kde:kwayland
> mv kwayland/ kwayland-server

git rm -r src/client/
> # namespace KWayland::Server -> namespace KWaylandServer
> # fix build
> # remove server tests?

I don't think we want to remove client or server tests on this one. As the
client tests covered the server side too
Even if it does mean some short-term duplication.

> # see to move things to KWin?

I don't know which things you were referring to, but I'd suggest we keep
things simple.

> # close https://phabricator.kde.org/T13025

> git clone kde:kwayland

git rm src/client/protocols and use the installed ones from the first repo

> # deprecate all KWayland::Server

We need a big README in the src/server. IMO it's not worth the hassle of
changing the header files.

# remove server tests?

Yeah, can do.