D28781: Add 'Activate clicked window' toggle in Desktop Grid effect

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 13 16:15:46 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense to me. I think this could probably work, with an adequate UI to communicate it to the user. See inline comment below.

  I'm not sure the new timer behavior makes sense for the status quo. That seems unrelated to the change you're proposing here and would represent a potentially unwelcome UX change for people who are happy with the way it works right now.

INLINE COMMENTS

> desktopgrid_config.ui:204
> +        <property name="text">
> +         <string>Activate clicked window</string>
> +        </property>

Checkboxes need for their inverse state to be clear. In this case, if I were a regular user and unchecked this, it would not be clear to me what happens. I would re-organize this as a set of radio buttons, like so:

  Click on window in another desktop: (o) Switch to that desktop and activates the window
                                      ( ) Only switch to that desktop

And then you would also want to make clicking on a window in the current desktop always activate that window.

Does that make sense.