D28781: Add 'Activate clicked window' toggle in Desktop Grid effect

Konstantinos Smanis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 13 08:24:45 BST 2020

ksmanis added a comment.

  In D28781#646899 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28781#646899>, @ngraham wrote:

  > So in essence you want to use the Desktop Grid effect as a virtual desktop pager, rather than a window picker. But why not just use the pager then?

  Indeed, I guess I use the Desktop Grid effect as a fullscreen pager. In my experience, the pager widget is too small to be efficient, selecting the right desktop with the mouse (or even worse with the touchpad) is time-consuming for me.

  As a matter of fact, in my workflow, I navigate virtual desktops using the Meta+Left/Right keyboard shortcuts most of the times, but occasionally my hand will be on the mouse, in which case I have assigned the bottom right corner to trigger the Desktop Grid effect and then I just select a desktop. This way, it takes some very generic and easy-to-get mouse gestures to select a different desktop. In this workflow, the default behavior of activating the underlying window gets in the way for me, as I frequently have to pause and determine which window was last active so as not to disrupt it.

  That being said, I can see how my perspective is different that the default intended functionality, which is why I maintained backwards compatible behavior in the patch, unless the user explicitly disables it.