D21948: [colorcorrection] Add "Constant" mode

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jun 28 17:38:02 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  In D21948#487538 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21948#487538>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > You're right, lets step it back to discussing purely in terms of UX, get on the same page then that will direct the code.
  >
  > I used to be a redshift user when my laptop was on X, I used it at night - but I have the sleep schedule consistency of a typical programmer. I don't want the screen to dim at 9pm if I'm still going to have a halogen desk lamp shining on full blast anyway. I only  ever used manual invoking as times weren't consistent and the location of the sun was even less relevant!
  >
  > I find myself not currently using the wayland equivalent.

  Hmm, when people wanted this functionality in the past it seemed to me more like they wanted to use it as a workaround for white-point balancing their screen. You use it manually like this because you think an automatic mode depending on time does not suit your work habits particularly well, right? I imagine it to be kind of cumbersome to do it always like this, but it's still a valid use case.

  > We know that the plasma-redshift users also had demand to have a simpler toggle which isn't time based and the similar function "LiveDisplay" on my phone also has a toggle of "Off/Night/Automatic".
  >  We never set out purely to make a clone, but we should learn from what others set out to solve.

  If other major OS feature it already in their Ui, that's a good argument for providing it as well. But Android does not allow color correcting the screen in general, right? What I don't want is to present basically the same functionality in two different ways: a constant color temperature or white point balancing slider should be part of generic color correction in a //Display Colors KCM// and if people can achieve something similar via Night Color I feel there will be confusion on how a user is supposed to do it (imagine a user wants to adjust white-balance for a faulty screen and then doing it via Night Color constant mode, later connecting a non-faulty second screen which then has wrong colors because of Night Color setting). Still a constant mode with quick toggle on/off could make sense if people really then only use it like you described yourself used redshift in the past. On the other side we don't need to support every 1% use case. For example GNOME's Night Light does not feature a constant mode.

  I think we first should have generic color correction Ui (including white point balancing) in place. And then we can decide with user feedback if an additional constant Night Color mode makes sense. With generic color correction in place it would then also be less tempting (and we could design the Ui in such a way) to use Night Color constant mode for makeshift white point balancing.