D21948: [colorcorrection] Add "Constant" mode

Vlad Zagorodniy noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jun 28 08:42:46 BST 2019

zzag added a comment.

  > How are they orthogonal?

  You're asking to redesign color correction infrastructure while this patch adds sort of unrelated feature.

  > I tell you that's not a part of Night Color, because Night Color as the name says deals with a specific time of day: night,

  This argument is not convincing. The Night Color manager is a blue light filter. If the name is main blocker, let's rename the manager. "Blue Light Filter" is a good candidate, it's generic and accurate.

  > And reading your sentence it is still not clear to me why we "need" a switch.

  Because the Night Color manager has to be responsible for management of screen color temperature and all three existing modes are dynamic.

  Introducing separate path for the constant mode is a bad idea because two actors will be involved in management of color temperature, which means more complexity. Managing those two actors will make life harder for us developers and for clients. On server side, we would have to take some extra measures to ensure that there are no conflicts between the Night Color manager and the constant mode implementation. On client side, it means two different apis to interact with.

  Another problem with two paths is that it just doesn't make sense conceptually...

  > You're right, lets step it back to discussing purely in terms of UX, get on the same page then that will direct the code.

  Okay, that's a good idea.