[Ktechlab-devel] ARGH!!!

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 18 07:48:02 UTC 2006

While my new signal generator seems to be working just fine.. (I havn't
implemented a UI to select waveforms yet so I don't know whether that
part works), but I now have full-wave rectification.

Right now, if I fire up the dummy load for the power section of my amp,
it works pretty reasonably.

Unfortunately, if I try to fire up either of the other loads it goes
crazy and/or just dies. (fluctuates wildly in the Y-volt range) and I
think there is some protection code that trips and shuts everything
down. Unfortunately, I havn't figured out how to debug the thing... when
I run ddd on it, all I find are lists of variants... (which can't be
inspected CURSE YOU C++!!!)

I think I understand why the modeling is as simple as it is, most of the
components are idealized components that can be linked together to
create more realistic models... I still think Component has too many
responsibilities though...

An operating system I designed was based on the idea of partitioning off
functionality... ktechlab, in that OS, would be a system and things like
the microcontroller emulator could be linked in at run time by the user
as needed. People seem to prefer massive code bloat though... =( --
Actually, the code I've seen is quite good though most of it seems to be
based on Klogic and the support for analog design is considerably weaker.

I'm considering buying $20 capacitors for this design so I really want
to be sure I get the right ones! =P

other components I want:

A fuse.

The ability to specify limits on components such that there is a nice
little mushroom-cloud animation when they are exceded.

A current limiting device. -- I need some kind of soft power-on, I can't
be hitting my tubes with 200v in the first instant. =P

--
Don't let your schoolwork get in the way of your learning.

### NEW E-MAIL: agrimes at speakeasy.net ###