Kstars crashes on launch, missing `asteroids.bin`

Abe Rolick abe.rolick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:35:10 BST 2022

Howdy,

I posted this on a FB group and someone suggested I send it to you ...

Environment:

   - Raspberry Pi4 B
   - Clean install of Raspberry Pi OS Buster
   - Added Astroberry's repos and installed indi-full, gsc, and
   kstars-bleeding

Crash:

~ $ kstars
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
org.kde.kstars: Failed to create local astrometry directory
Call to writableLocation without an application-based location.
org.kde.kstars: Welcome to KStars 3.6.0 Stable
org.kde.kstars: Build: 2022-08-26T23:03:43Z
org.kde.kstars: OS: "raspbian"
org.kde.kstars: API: "arm-little_endian-ilp32-eabi-hardfloat"
org.kde.kstars: Arch: "arm"
org.kde.kstars: Kernel Type: "linux"
org.kde.kstars: Kernel Version: "5.10.103-v7l+"
org.kde.kstars: Qt Version: 5.11.3
org.kde.kstars: User DB does not exist. New User DB will be created.
org.kde.kstars: Rebuilding User Database
org.kde.kstars: Processing "unnamedstars.dat" , HTMesh Level 3
org.kde.kstars: Sky Mesh Size: 512
org.kde.kstars: Loaded DSO catalog file: "unnamedstars.dat"
org.kde.kstars: "Star HD20794 not found."
org.kde.kstars: "Star HD98230 not found."
org.kde.kstars: Loaded DSO catalogs.
org.kde.kstars: Loading asteroids
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): Could not open file.
Aborted

I compared the contents of `~/.local/shares/kstars` with a friend who has a
working instance on StellareMate and noticed an empty file named
`asteroids.bin`. A simple touch on that file et voila, it works! Not sure
if this is a known issue, and if not I can't believe I'm the only one to
run into it :P Cheers!

-Abe