question about kstars catalogs

Vincent Hourdin vincent-kstars at free-astro.org
Fri Jun 17 14:44:54 BST 2022

Thank you so much Akarsh for your very detailed message and Jasem for
the link. It took me a while but I finally was able to use the four
catalogs in Siril for plate solving (siril has its own) and photometric
color calibration.
I copied the htmesh library in siril source tree and wrote a binary
writer from the examples you provided and the C sample tools that were
in KStars source tree for catalog import/transformation/checking.
It's not yet merged, but if you want to have a look it's there:
https://gitlab.com/free-astro/siril/-/tree/829_local_nomad/subprojects/htmesh
https://gitlab.com/free-astro/siril/-/tree/829_local_nomad/src/io/kstars
https://gitlab.com/free-astro/siril/-/blob/829_local_nomad/src/io/catalogues.c

I don't need to modify the catalogs, they fit our needs as is, thank you.
I especially needed the B and V information, or B-V, so your NOMAD
catalog, limited to mag 18 proved perfect as it is compact and contains
all the stars with this photometric information.

I noticed a few incoherencies in the binary file headers, in case you
didn't already know:
- the 3 first catalogues have a magnitude multiplier of 100
  while it's 1000 for nomad, but nomad's header reports it as 100 too
- nomad's scale for dRA and dDec is also incorrect, reported to 10, but
  it's already in mas/yr
- for namedstars and unnamedstars, the scale of dRA and dDec is 10 as
  reported, but for deepstars (Tycho-2), the data seems completely
  random compared to what vizier gives for the few stars I've looked up.
  I don't know the scale but it should simply not be used if my sample
  was not just unlucky. Anyway, from what I could see, the proper motion
  for Siril's use of near current time is basically insignificant.

Next step for Siril on that side would be to document the use of the
catalogs and also distribute them. It was not easy to find the
deepstars.dat file, and the nomad file can be compressed to 1 GB with xz
instead of 1.4 GB with the current gzip. I was thinking I would put
online the 4 catalog files to have them easily available for Siril
install, with bittorrent from a few computers/servers. One question I
have is about the license, I don't know if I am allowed to do that, I
don't know what are the terms of use of the catalogs either, can you
enlighten me on this subject?

I haven't yet looked at the object names databases, it's not as
important for now, but at least I know where to look if needed, thank
you!

Vincent