[Kstars-devel] Question regarding KStars Lite

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Mon Mar 14 06:25:37 UTC 2016

Hi Artem,

Great questions! Please do whatever is deemed necessary within the existing
code base. There will be a lot of conflict and duplication initially, but
this might go away eventually if we decided to pursue the QML/QtQuick way
of doing things. You can keep the declarative parts in a separate directory
for the time being, and CMake will pick up which parts to compile based on
the platform. This project will be an evaluation of the technology maturity
of QML/QtQuick2 for a heavy computational application such as KStars and
will pave the way for more changes later on.

Regarding the mobile application, it is up to you. But you should conform
to KDE Human Interface Guidelines for Mobile (
https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG) which is still work in
progress so this would be a good opportunity to engage them during the
development process.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Artem Fedoskin <afedoskin3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear developers of KStars,
>
> while designing proposal for KStars Lite project I got some questions and
> any suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> To implement SkyMap in Lite version I plan to use Qt Quick Scene instead
> of QPainter. Qt Quick Scene offers much faster rendering on both mobile
> platforms and desktops. Also, there is a great article
> <http://vizzzion.org/blog/2012/09/randa-meetings-2012-the-future-of-qgraphicsview-in-plasma/>
> from one member of Plasma team describing the benefits and problems of
> moving Plasma to QML.
>
> My question is how big should be the difference in codebase between KStars
> for desktops and KStars Lite? Existing drawing code and a lot of other
> things that are done in imperative way will suit very bad declarative way
> of Qt Quick Scene Graph.
>
> For example: to implement Sky Map I'm planning to create new SkyMapLite
> class, which has to be independent from existing SkyMap, as SkyMap uses
> QWidget and QPainter for painting. By doing that, I have to make some
> changes in KStarsData class and of course KStars Lite will use completely
> new KStarsLite class for initialization instead of KStars.
>
> To display SkyComponents on SkyMapLite I'm planning to subclass each of
> the SkyComponents children like SolarSystemSingleComponent, StarComponent,
> etc. to combine their methods for calculating the position and providing
> drawing facilities for Qt Quick Scene.
>
> Also I would be very grateful to hear some suggestions regarding UI. In
> your opinion what are the best astronomy apps for mobile platforms?
>
> Apologize for such questions, but integrating such big changes in an
> existing project can be very tricky.
>
> Regards, Artem

Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq