[Kstars-devel] KStars Lite - GSoC 2016 Project

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Tue Mar 1 06:53:26 UTC 2016

Hi Artem,

Glad you are interested in this important KStars project!

My name is Artem Fedoskin and I'm a first year master's student studying

#2 is definitely the way to go. The Lite version not only needs to be
usable on a smaller form factor, but its performance needs to be acceptable
given the limited hardware resources typically available on such form
factors. It will take a long time, but it is a step in the right direction.
Also, you must consider the "data" part as well. All the logic behind
efficient. While we might have to make some special cases and exceptions
for the lite version, the goal is to have the same code for ALL form
factors.

> I’m also studying the source code of KStars and have made a small fix to
> “What’s Interesting” tool by finishing it’s porting to QML 2 (though it
> hasn’t been included into master branch yet as one of the classes of KF5 is
> not available on all distros)
>
> In addition to the list of features published on KStars GSoC ideas page
> [3] I think it would be great to include in KStars Lite some of the tools
> available in desktop version. One of them, “What’s Interesting” tool, is
> written in QML and would require only changing of C++ part of it. However,
> such tools as “Alt. vs Time” and “What’s up Tonight” would be also of great
> use in KStars Lite. Is this something that KStars Lite needs?

I would still consider these items "Optional" and it would be great to have
them eventually, but for now the primary task is quite time-consuming and
should not be under-estimated. If the primary task is completed, then you
can work on those additional items!

> I would be also very grateful for any suggestions and ideas regarding Lite
> version of KStars.

Another aspect is that some users are expecting to use Ekos on tablets.
This is going to be quite challenging, but it is something to think about.

Regards,
Jasem