[Kstars-devel] Caldwell catalog in Kstars?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:01:15 UTC 2016

Hi

Here is a Caldwell catalog that I patched together from Wikipedia and
KStars' ngcic.dat.

The cross-identification from Caldwell to NGC/IC etc. is from
Wikipedia. The data for the three non-NGC/IC objects is from
Wikipedia. The data for NGC/IC objects is from KStars' NGC/IC database
ngcic.dat

The catalog is buggy, and many things are not working correctly. For
example, the position angles of some galaxies seem to be off, even
though I took them straight from ngcic.dat -- unfortunately, this is
as much as I can do at the moment. If someone could take it up from
here and debug it, that would be nice. There is also some error I get
(on the console) while loading, which is hardly clear.

Since it's still buggy, I have put it up on my personal site:
http://bas.org.in/~akarsh/Caldwell.cat

If someone comes up with a bug-free sanitized version, I'd be happy to
put it up on our "Download new data" section with due credits and the
a clear copyright info.