Importing the Washington Double Stars Catalog

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Mon Dec 5 18:23:05 UTC 2016

So it appears that the Tycho Double Star Catalogue (TDSC) has 98,482 rows.
It provides cross-references to HIP, HD, WDS, and Tycho 1,2,3. Since Tycho2
in KStars is "unnamed" but has HD index, we can use the HD/WDS
cross-references OR xmatch as illustrated below. At any rate, out of the
98,482 rows, only 36,159 have HD indexes, 71,979 has WDS indexes, and
records having both indexes is 32,852.

There is no parallax/spec_type available. Instead we have the following:

+ RAJ2000
+ DEJ2000
+ pmRA
+ pmDE
+ PA
+ HD
+ BTmag
+ VTmag
+ Sep
+ WDS

Finally, I used (http://cdsxmatch.u-strasbg.fr/) to match TDSC vs. Tycho-2
within 0.1 arcsec position radius and got 28,677 records so there is
overlap between TDSC and Tycho-2. For 0.5 arcsec position radius, I got
over ~80k records.

Since neither starData nor deepStarData would be sufficient for TDSC data
above, it looks like we will need another struct, if we are going to go the
binary path way. I'm also not sure what to do about the 28,677 duplicate
stars among Tycho2 & TDSC? We probably need a long-term solution for these
sort of situations which would be realized whenever we add new star
catalogs. I guess one solution is to strip KStars own Tycho2 deepstars.dat
from these 28,677 stars, if we can figure out a way to cut them out. But
then users would lose these stars unless they install the double star
catalog. Another solution is to simply ignore them and allow for
"duplicates".

Regards,
Jasem

--