[Kstars-devel] Adding constellation images to KStars

M.S. Adityan msadityan at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:38:33 UTC 2015

Hi Jasem, Akarsh,

I am putting the links to certain files here. One folder contains the
constellation images to be used in KStars (Source:images used in
Stellarium). Another file contains the list of 3 important stars that would
act like 'anchors' for each constellation image on the skymap.

I propose to put the constellation images in
kstars/data/skycultures/western. Is this fine?

Also, I haven't been able to figure out if KStars uses HIP catalogue
numbers for stars, or HD catalogue numbers.

Here are the links.

Sky culture images:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz33IJ49r9CqflpUNGZpeUVwRzBucy1FYnYzVHVWYjBmYWQ1cmd1cWhwX0RLV19pVEE1MjQ&authuser=0

Constellationart.txt :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz33IJ49r9CqLUl2d2RzLWVvRjg&authuser=0

Here is what constellationart.txt contains. It has fields in the following
manner: Constellation Abbreviation, image file name, x,y coordinates of
star 1, HP catalog number for star 1, and so on for star 2 and star 3.

As suggested by Akarsh, if KStars know about HP catalog numbers, then we
could use HD numbers.

If these are fine, I could push this into the gsoc2015-constellationart
branch. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Adityan