[Kstars-devel] Updating the API documentation

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Tue Feb 10 09:16:41 UTC 2015

Ok, so I'm still working on improving the API documentation and wanted to
add a section "How it works" to explain (ELI5) how KStars overall work. I
wrote the following which is most likely inaccurate, please help me come up
with a decent "How it works" section in the updated API docs:

How it works?

TODO This is a work in progress, it might not be accurate.

The following explanation is a very high level and general overview on the
basic workflow in KStars. When you run KStars, the following general steps
are executed (not necessarily in this order):

+ An Instance of KStars is created.
+ Data for stars, catalogs, deep sky objects, comets...etc are read and
loaded into memory. Some data are not read unless necessary, such as stars
that only appear at very high zoom levels.
+ Toolbars, menus, and GUI elements are initialized.
+ Time is initialized. Simulated clocks normally ticks forward at a
particular interval, the default being once per second like a real clock.
+ The coordinates of the sky objects loaded previously are calculated given
the current date and time settings. Effects for precession, nutation,
aberration, and refraction are taken into account.
+ Each component draws itself on the skymap. The order of the drawing
routine ensures layers such as equatorial/horizontal grid lines are drawn
last.
+ The sky map responds to user input from keyboard and mouse to perform
various actions such as panning, zooming, invoking the popup menu for a
particular object...etc.
+ TODO Add more detials

--
Best Regards,