[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2016 project proposal: KStars as a star chart generation service?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:37:03 UTC 2015

> Opps I didn't read it quite well. Yes, you're talking about a separate
> application. It would be very beneficial if computational/data/gui aspects
> of KStars are more modular. If the purpose is only to 'thin out' KStars to
> produce another app for star-charting, then the demands has to justify it.
> Is there enough demand out there for such a service? I though most would use
> interactive applications like KStars...etc to get said charts!

Dear Jasem

Yes, the ulterior motive is to eventually induce a separation between
computation/data/gui. The star charts are a means. The reason I am
inclined towards this idea is that if we provide certain computations
of KStars as a kernel that is light-weight, people could write
powerful scripts against it to achieve whatever they want. I feel that
making customizable maps for custom lists is a good way to start, and
given that the charts are one of the main selling points of Cartes du
Ciel, which is partially responsible for its popularity, doing
something like this might win us some userbase, especially those who
can write scripts and customize their astronomy work.

But right now, this is just an idea. I think there is more thinking to
be done about its feasibility as well as whether it is actually worth
doing.