[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2016 ideas?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sun Dec 13 10:48:21 UTC 2015

Ok, so I added the Altitude vs. Time improvements as a junior job here:

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/JuniorJobs

So prospective GSoC 2016 students, here is your chance to work on some
KStars jobs at the meantime. I'll work more on refining the GSoC 2016 ideas.

Regards,
Jasem

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's certainly a good idea, but not big enough for GSoC! So I'll try to
> add it to KStars "Junior" jobs. I also use the Altitude vs. Time tool all
> the time, so I appreciate its importance on daily basis.
>
> Regards,
> Jasem
>

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM, <julien at obs-besancon.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    Just an idea I wish to suggest. The most useful thing to me in Kstars
>> is the Altitude vs. Time tool (but maybe I am the only one in this
>> situation). One thing that would improve a lot this tool is to enable some
>> tuning of the plotting ranges.
>>
>>    For example, a possibility could be that a right clic on the time or
>> altitude axis could open a menu where one could change the range.
>>
>>    Another possibility would be to directly interact with the curves, in
>> a similar way as with gnuplot: a right clic in the plot starts a rectangle
>> whose size is tuned by moving the mouse. When one releases the right
>> button, the figure zooms to the region defined by the rectangle.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Julien
>>

>> Quoting Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com>:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> So it's about time we start discussing ideas for KStars in Google Summer
>>> of
>>> Code 2016. Last year, we had two projects:
>>>
>>> 1. Constellation Art
>>> 2. Ekos Scheduler
>>>
>>> I'm glad that both projects are in master now, but not without problems.
>>> The constellation art is marked as "beta" because the rotation and
>>> scaling
>>> issues are NOT yet fixed, and I am too busy as it is to even ponder a
>>> fix,
>>> so I might make fixing it as a "junior job". I completely re-wrote Ekos
>>> scheduler since I wanted to support more complex automation, BUT the
>>> basic
>>> ideas and skeleton in GSoC 2015 was very helpful in shaping the
>>> scheduler,
>>> so no wasted effort here either.
>>>
>>> For 2016, I have the following ideas:
>>>
>>> 1. KStars Tablet/Mobile version: Make a QML/QtQuick2 frontend for KStars
>>> with basic functions:
>>>   1.1 Sky map: Pan, zoom...etc
>>>   1.3 Color schemes
>>>   1.4 Simulation time
>>>   1.5 Projection Systems?
>>>   1.6 FOV Symbols
>>>   1.7 Location/Time from mobile/phone or by user
>>>   1.8 ??
>>>
>>> 2. KStars on Windows/OSX: Still needs to research it, but we should
>>> aspire
>>> to support as many platforms as possible.
>>>
>>> 3. Qt3D backend: Develop a Qt3D backend in addition to the QtPainter
>>> backend. We already have OpenGL backend but it is disabled now, so it

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq