[Kstars-devel] Star coordinate inaccuracy -- Hipparcos Epoch bug

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 23:44:07 UTC 2013

> >>I think the error derives from old stars.dat, that has been somehow
> >>"compiled" into data kstars is using now. I already provided a copy
> >>of stars.dat with coordinates corrected using novas-c library
> >>(http://aa.usno.navy.mil/software/novas/novas_c/novasc_info.
> >>I think this corrected file has been committed into kstars current
> >>sources, the only problem is that it isn't referenced anymore in any
> >>of the other source files...
> >
> >Wow. That is odd. I'll look for it. Any recollection of what it is
> >called?
>

> Ehm. The file is stars.dat, and it's in the source tree. Problem is,
> grepping for stars.dat in all of the tree returns no results. I
> _assume_ it's been compiled into binary format, but I wasn't able to
> understand how it was done.

Oh yes, that is a binary file. But that is (almost) certainly used. I
think the data in stars.dat is the offending data. If you have a
corrected list of star positions, even in ASCII, or CSV or whatever, I
can convert it into the binary format that stars.dat uses.

Will reply to the rest of your email later in the night.

Thanks for your help :)