[Kstars-devel] On the popularity of KStars

Bogdan Marinov daggerstab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:08:13 UTC 2013

On 1/24/13, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder why, but I don't find KStars as popular with amateur
> astronomers as it should be.
>
> I think we are missing something crucial. I think most of our features
> are probably too convoluted and hidden and are not intuitive.
>
> So I'm inviting some discussion on this forum on what might be good
> things to implement.

Perhaps because it's tied to a specific platform? I mean not just
Linux, but KDE. As far as I know, it's a bit hard to discover if you
are not already a Linuxite.

There's also the effect that popularity tends to perpetuate itself -
once a product reaches a certain threshold, people start recommending
it to others. KStars is just not that well-known.

Regards,
Bogdan Marinov