[Kstars-devel] Branding -- What is KStars?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:33:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:26:52PM -0700, Daniel-Marian Baboiu wrote:
> Well, KStars was never limited to KDE environment, but it still depends
> on KDE libs, so there...
>
> KDE libs, like the Gnome libs, are not limited to the desktop
> environment, so I don't see a problem with this.

Well, part of the problem is that although it is true that KStars has
only kdelibs dependencies and no dependency on the KDE environment, it
is not clear from our branding.

So there is an attempt all over KDE to change the branding of KDE /
KDE Apps themselves to indicate something more cross-platform. In
fact, the new branding thing is that "KDE" is a group of people that
produces the "KDE SC" -- the KDE Software Compilation.

While it is hard to remove this misconception by branding in the case
of KDE itself, now that KStars runs on windows, it might be worthwhile
and fruitful to rebrand KStars as a cross-platform astronomy toolkit,
or something more generic like that.