[Kstars-devel] [bug] KStars should use system time zone and DST data

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 20:55:54 UTC 2012

On 13.01.2012 23:29, Daniel-Marian Baboiu wrote:
> I agree that time should be stored ad JD - maybe with additional fields
> as UT (also DST independent), to avoid recalculating it every time we
> need it. Time zone rules should indeed go outside kstars - all OS ans
> desktop environments have tables of time zone rules for all areas, not
> only for the local zone. For example, the clock applet in KDE can handle
> multiple time zones at the same time.

I don't think it worth effort. With UTC only time zones and DST are gone
but leap seconds and Julian to Gregorian claendar transition are still
there. Thoose alone are enough to make my head hurt.

I think that representation of time as date & time of the day is too
complicated. It should appear only in user interaction. On other hand we
can rely on KDateTime to do all dirty work for us (only if it's able to do)

Also KDE provides a lot of time zone related classes. We defintly should
make use of them.

http://api.kde.org/4.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKTimeZone.htm
http://api.kde.org/4.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKTimeZoneSource.html
http://api.kde.org/4.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKTimeZoneData.html