[Kstars-devel] Can't get Kstars working on windows 7

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:24:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:17:01AM -0700, Dan Webb wrote:
>    To Whom ever,
>
>    I have recently got Kstars working with Linux Ubuntu and I like the way it
>    looks.  I have tried unsuccessfully to get it to work with windows 7.  I
>    have downloaded it several times and keep getting the same file:
>    kstars-1.2.tar.bz2.  As you probably know it contains over 900 files and
>    not one '.exe' program file.  It looks like it contains every thing you
>    might need to compile it with Linux.  That's not much help for windows.  I
>    have also download I have never had so much trouble getting a program I
>    downloaded to work.  There is a way to get it to work  with windows,
>    right?  Why is it double compressed.  ei with bz2 and tar ?  Can you help
>    me get Kstars working with windows 7?  What is the solution?

The way I've usually installed KStars on Windows is to use the KDE for
Windows installer and install compiled programs instead of compiling
the sources myself:

http://windows.kde.org/ -- Under the "Download" menu on the top, click
"Download Installer".

It'll download a .exe which contains the installer. Running that
installer will guide you through some steps. Don't forget to select
"KStars" in the list of packages when prompted for (it will not
install KStars by default). Also, if you don't want the rest of KDE,
you might want to just install the bare minimum dependencies for
KStars. If you uncheck everything except KStars, it will find the bare
minimum dependencies and will ask your permission to install those as
well, IIRC.