[Kstars-devel] Fwd: Re: GSoC 2012: Project Introduction: Logs and Data

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:26:56 UTC 2012

Forgot to CC list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Kstars-devel] GSoC 2012: Project Introduction: Logs and Data
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:30:58 +0400
From: Aleksey Khudyakov <alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com>
To: Rishab Arora <ra.rishab at gmail.com>

On 26.04.2012 20:44, Rishab Arora wrote:
> Hey Aleksey!
>
> Regarding the observation logs, currently we have a feature which lets
> us save a plain text entry for named objects (accessed by right clicking
> -> logs). So if you wish to store what you saw while observing, say
> Saturn, you'll have to explicitly state all information like the
> equipment you've used, date, time etc which is already available to KStars.
> I plan to replace this view with a new interface linked with a database.
> Hence, when you right click and select Logs in the proposed
> implementation, you'll get a list of all previous entries. And the
> option to add new entries. And to export these entries (as OAL files,
> hopefully)

There is a problem. Current implementation stores logs and some other
info in the SkyObject. This approach is problematic for following
reasons: is object is destroyed all data is lost. At the moment only
faint star are loaded and unloaded to/from memory on demand.
Galaxies are very numerous too so at some point we may want to unload
them too. Also there is no easy way to get all observation logs etc.

It sounds like you want to store observation log separately from
sky object. So how do you plan link them?

 From UI point. it's very bad to force user to fill in _all_ fields.
Users are lazy and always have strange ideas. It's better to avoid
annoying constraints like: «you'll have to explicitly state all
information».