[Kstars-devel] Should KStars do GCI 2011?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:42:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:47:50AM +0200, Rafa? Ku?aga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yep, fixing KStars' bugs is both hard and takes _much_ longer than
> expected; fixing and extending OAL stuff took Lukasz over two months
> and I still find some imperfections.
>
> So, just a few ideas about what GCI 2011/2012 students could do for KStars:
>
> * Throughly test OAL support - Lukasz has added support for OAL
> extensions (mainly for deep sky observations), but I guess it might
> still be a little buggy. It would be great if someone could test it
> before it is merged into master.
> * As "sky guides" feature will also be merged in near future, it would
> be nice to have a few guides made (this basically requires only the
> knowledge of XML and XSD).

Ah, okay. Nice idea.

Yes, we can do a lot of testing in GCI. That makes sense, I
guess. What we need help with is finding and eliminiating bugs at this
stage (although I'm tempted to do stuff that may introduce bugs
:D). We could use GCI for that. Testing is fair game in GCI.

> From what I've read about GCI, I see it's not only about coding. To be
> honest, I doubt that any serious programming tasks are a good choice
> for this program, but I have a few pieces of code marked for
> refactoring (not related to computations) that should be easy enough
> to do for GCI guys.

Yep. That is correct. It's more about other things and not so much
about coding. Most of the kids aren't confident about coding tasks
either. Okay, that would be good.