[Kstars-devel] Should KStars do GCI 2011?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:44:05 UTC 2011

Hi

[This post is speculative]

I just noted that GCI 2011 is going to happen. More likely than not,
KDE will be offered participation. If that happens, KStars will be
given a chance to participate.

I just wanted to collect opinions on whether KStars must participate.

In my current opinion, KStars should not. We still have code from
Code-In 2011 that's lying in the repositories, unmerged. Besides most
of the things that you can get accomplished in Code-In are
documentation and small things like that. From last year, I noticed
that students are usually more focussed on simple tasks to get paid,
rather than taking larger challenges. KStars has a lot of bugs, and
fixing them would be a good thing, but most of our bugs are way too
complicated for pre-university students. So that's my opinion
(although I really want another T-Shirt!)

Of course, open source is a do-ocracy, and if someone feels they
should float a task, they should go ahead and do that.