[Kstars-devel] Re: Kstars observtion Field Notes

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 01:29:23 CET 2011

Hi Bruce

> I has asked a month or so ago about at printable field notes page and I said I
> see what other astronomy programs are doing.  I've just put together a rough
> outline of what I envision based on what I've see and what Kstars can do.
>
> The left side has your basic observing field note segements.  I'm aware that
> they are not align etc...
>
> The right is side I envision as being generated by kstars from a menu
> selection made by the user as to what star field FOV's he/she wish to see.  My
> sample use a basic 22 degree FOV at the top...  My second image is base on the
> FOV of my finderscope and lastly the FOV of the eye I propose to use on that
> image.
>
> Since I'm not sure if the list accepts attachments I've put my sample here.
> http://faintfuzzies.ca/v/hobbies/astro/KSTARS_OBSERVATION_FIELD_NOTES.PNG.html
>
> I'd love to hear what you think.

Well, I get the idea. It's one more of those nice things that we
should implement. Probably we should also allow the user to print out
his/her own observations (which he/she has already filled into
KStars).

The problem we have is manpower. There are a whole bunch of things
we've been wanting to do. I think the most important of them all, in
my opinion, would be the code architecture fork that I mentioned in an
earlier mail. I wonder if this will happen in the near future.

However, I think this can be done (although a bit slowly) with
scripting support. KStars does have scripting support, although I
don't know of good documentation on it. In principle you should be
able to generate this using a combination of ImageMagick, LaTeX or
some other sort of typesetting language and KStars.

Although I wonder why you'd want to use KStars rather than DSS / SDSS
queries which provide actual images.

It makes a lot of sense to have such a feature in KStars, particularly
if we fix our observation planner and logger.