[Kstars-devel] User questions: star size on screen and observation log

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 06:03:59 CEST 2010

Hi Ron

> > I'm surprised that this is the case for mag 7 ~ 8 stars even when
> > zoomed in. It would be nice if you could file a bug report on
> > bugs.kde.org against KStars.
>
> I'd be glad to file the bug report, but I'm now unable to reproduce the
> problem.  It's behaving just as I'd expect: I zoom in and lower
> magnitude stars get larger.
>
> I had been playing with the star density setting, and I had just
> downloaded the additional star catalogs.  I also had time stopped for
> most of the observing session.  Maybe a combination of those was an
> issue, or maybe it was just a problem on the user side of the user
> interface (ie., me!).

Did you experience any issues with USNO NOMAD?

Actually, the star density formulae are all emperical. If you like the
star density / sizes as represented in some other app, and if you find
it hard in KStars, we could borrow those expressions from them.

I have this problem when I sometimes go observing, that what I see in
the eyepiece doesn't relate to what I have on KStars. I mean, the
"feel" of magnitude in KStars is not good, IMO. But I don't know how
to fix it. If anyone here has any ideas, do let us know.

> In any case, it's working exactly right now, and I'll hold off on the
> bug report unless I bump into it again in a reproducible way.

Thanks.