[Kstars-devel] Re: kstars engine?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 23:39:43 CEST 2010

> On 10/01/2010 01:34 PM, karinqe wrote:
> > Hi,
> > is there any info about the algorithms the engine uses to predict the
> > motions of planets? How do you "solve" the N-body problem? How precise
> > is it? What do you take into account?
> > I'll look into the code later for more specific information, but now
> > I'm just trying to find out which algorithms are often used in
> > applications like kstars and don't have enough time to search in the
> > source :(
> > Could you please give me some hints?
> >
> > (I'm doing a Bachalor's thesis on the N-body problem...well, at least
> > I'm starting)

Hi Karin

If you are interested in generic numerical integration, though, you
should take a look at Step. Step uses a rather simple algorithm (I
forgot what it's called), but you might want to use 4th order or 5th
order "Runge-Kutta" method. (I've just heard about these from my
friend). Apparently it is far better.