[Kstars-devel] Re: kstars engine?

Daniel-Marian Baboiu daniel.baboiu at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 1 23:22:02 CEST 2010

Applications like kstars do not "solve" the n-body problems. This part
is part is done numerically by large computing centers like JPL and made
available to the public in the form of series with thousands of terms
(do a search "JPL ephemeris").  Based on this full integration, other,
more compact series can be obtained, such as VSOP87 and Swiss Ephemeris.
A subset of the VSOP87 is presented in Jean Meeus - Astronomical
Algorithms, which is more of a cookbook than a book on celestial mechanics.

For relatively short time intervals, the n-body problem can be solved
approximately using the perturbation theory - the main term is that of
the Sun, so the orbit is elliptic, while the influence of the other
bodies is to slowly change the orbital elements. Anything more than this
is beyond the scope of the list, but you can contact me on my private
address.

Daniel Baboiu